Re: MA in English or engineering classes?

Subject: Re: MA in English or engineering classes?
From: "Margaret Secara" <margaret -dot- secara -at- alphather -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:54:48 -0700

The MA may not teach your more than your MA but it's a lot more fun!

I've never answered an ad that asked for an MA in English, but I have seen plenty of ads for writers that wanted a degree in any of several fields, one of which was English, and the MA was just a plus. Someone else pointed out that more important than the particular degree is experience. I'd concentrate on that. If you want a Masters, go get one, but make sure it's something you really want and will enjoy. Advanced education should be a joy--something you do for yourself--not a burden.

Just my tuppence ha'penny,

Maggie Secara

>>> <johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com> Thursday, June 06, 2002 >>>

Not hypocritical at all, in my opinion, but realistic. I fully agree with
Tom.(I have a BA in English and most of an MA in Comparative Literature
--I've never had a job where people even knew what the latter was.) In
addition, I'd say that unless you'd like to teach English Literature, an MA
in English won't give you much that your BA didn't already give you. If
tech writing is really where you'd like to go, then branch out. All of the
other suggestions posted so far are great.

Good luck!!

Johanne Cadorette

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l