RE: Deeply nested headings

Subject: RE: Deeply nested headings
From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 00:29:08 +1000

Ouch. Lessee

> I don't approve of the kind of documentatíon where
the writer merely writes that you *can* do this or that, but not describes
the different settings and commands and the consequences of pressing
different buttons or selecting different options.

Let's get specific here. My chapter 1 is Using the System, chapter 2 is
Using the Interface.

1 is task based, 2 is dialog based. 1 refers to 2 more than 2 refers to 1.
You NEED both, but if I catch ANY of you giving me another explantion of how
to use a damn spin control or set of radio buttons I'll hijack the next
flight outa here and come SPANK YA BUTT HARD!

Now, properly assumed, nesting is shallow for tasks. Diversion might be
hefty but you link to sequential topics AT THE SAME LEVEL so nesting is
shallow. What you really need to do is provide a set of overview diagrams
graphically breaking this stuff down visually for people to garner as
knowledge.

Additionally, something like

1.1 Getting Started

Start
Option 1a
Option 1b
Option 1c

1.2 Configuring

Start
Option 1a
Option 1b
Option 1c

1.3 Jabberwocking

Start
Option 1a
Option 1b
Option 1c

etc is always an option as well. Define flow areas with common boundaries
and chunk accordingly. In this way, 1.7 would normally be 7 levels deep!!!

Now chapter 2. Again, properly assumed, the subjects can be gathered by type
making a very shallow structure:
Dialogs
File A pen
File Shave
File Dename
Mountain View
Meadow View

blah de blah. Its not a great one for your complexity, but never-the-less
this technique can be applied at any level.

Juz some thoughts to help the ole lateral bits chuck a beaut sideays burnout
up memory lane n all...

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
Email: heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com Blog: www.tdfa.com/blog/blog.htm
For MS-Word questions please use msnews.microsoft.com before
heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com -dot-
You agree by writing to me personally that any material from this message
can be reused publicly unless you explicitly disclaim all or part of the
message.