Re: New tool wars! WAS: Pinsky poem in the Atlantic "Jar of

Subject: Re: New tool wars! WAS: Pinsky poem in the Atlantic "Jar of
From: Brad Jensen <brad -at- elstore -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 10:52:17 -0500

Ther is simple and elegant answer for this.

> What is the cheap whiteboard software you use to enhance the
whiteboard shots?

> I did the digital photo of white boards when we had a RIF
because I didn't want to
> lose the info on my two writer's whiteboards when someone erased
them. But
> adjusting the photos in PaintShopPro and printing them left them
very hard to read.

> If I have to do this in the future, I'd sure like the photos of
the whiteboards to be more usuable.

I tried photos of whiteboads but they

(pardon the technical language)

SUCKED.

And trying to enhance them took a lot of time and didn't do any
good.

Then I bought a Mimio - about $500. It's a whiteboard capture
system - a bar goes along the whiteboard on the op left corner,
then you put standard whiteboard markers each in a little holder -
red, blue, green, black.

Attach the Mimio to a notebook or other computer. Write on the
whitboard, and Mimio captures it in the correct color, on the
notebook. Whatever you dray appears instantly on the screen on the
PC, and is recorded in their own special file format. You can
export it to JPGs. It handles whiteboards up to 4 by 8 feet.

There's an electronic eraser, which I don't use much.

When your board is full, hit the erase button on the Mimio bar,
and then erase the real whiteboard. Mimio captures mutliple
whitboards into one of its files. You can ecord audio with it, but
I don't really like that because it is one long audio file. I
wrote my own program to capture the audio, and each image, to my
Eufrates elearning system.

Theres a new version of the mimio with memory in it, that can
record lots of whiteboards and then be downloaded to the laptop
later.

Go search for Mimio with google.com and you will find it.

You can also replay the whiteboard stroke by stroke with their
format, and it will interface with Netmeeting so you can
collaborate over the web.

I've begged them to make this product acitvex controllable, but
they have refused so far. They've got some proprietary
programming interface built in, which is powerful but basically
unuseable unless you are a C programmer and want to play with it
for days and days. This is like building a beautiful house, that
has doors you have to stand on your head to go through. I*t's not
unusual with a unique or new product, for a company to do things
this way - I worked hard to make it work like this, and you should
use my software.

Brad Jensen
www.eufrates.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l