[Fwd: Re: HTML-format e-mail newsletters?]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: HTML-format e-mail newsletters?]
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:01:25 -0400

Forwarded to the list at the request of David Brown:

------------------------

I can't post this to the list--on the road without my
usual mail program--but I wanted to let you know that
you *can* embed graphics and lots of other cool stuff
(Flash, AVI, whatever) in the body of an e-mail message,
using a standard called MIME multipart/related.

It's similar to the setting in your e-mail program that
says, "If you don't know whether they can read HTML or
just plain text, send both." That uses the MIME
multipart/alternaten standard, with which two versions
of your text are included in a single message.

In the case of multipart/related, though, all the image
links in your HTML are mapped to images actually stored
*and shipped* in the body of the same message.

It can make for a HUGE message, of course, but it also
makes it possible for your message to look right even
when the recipient isn't connected to the Internet. If
you link to images on a server, they'll all be "broken"
when the recipient tries to read them off-line.

[DM adds: Not only is such a message huge, but (a) because of MIME encoding, (b) because of automatically forwarded messages and returned undeliverable messages, and (c) because the whole package gets delivered to everybody whether they open the message or not, this practice results in much higher overall traffic load on the Internet. Aside from that, if the message is beyond a certain size, it will be rejected by many mail servers. I figure people who are viewing mail off-line know the risks and know how to view the message intact the next time they are online.]

If you think this info is useful, maybe you can forward
it to Techwr-L for me. :)

--David
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l