Re: Software Manual Overview

Subject: Re: Software Manual Overview
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:16:30 -0700 (PDT)

> OK, just returned from the archive and couldn't find
> anything on this so here goes. I have been offered a
> full-time, lone Tech Writer position in a company
> the also offers travel to do onsite training. The
> main documentation is a Software manual and little
> else at this point,although they are open to
> anything that will enhance the documentation
> process. I have done a couple of software manuals
> but my main strength has been Maintenance,
> Operations and Hardware manuals. I guess what I'm
> asking is what chapters/sections constitute a
> "quality" Software manual. I have my own experience
> and samples of other manuals but if you can provide
> some other cool insights, I will appreciate it very
> much.
>
> The audience in this case is probably varied levels
> of knowledge.
>
> This may not be a lot to go on but I just need a
> basic breakdown of what to look at to get started.

You're right, it's not a lot of information for us to
go on. What are you asking for? What kind of info
should go into a software manual? If so, it depends on
your audience. Seeing as your audience is varied in
skill, then your manual needs to accommodate that.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l