Re: Help! Suddenly I'm a new RPF/proposal writer

Subject: Re: Help! Suddenly I'm a new RPF/proposal writer
From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- best -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:34:49 -0700

Dick,

I wrote proposals for a government contractor for almost ten years and loved the pace. Here are some suggestions I can offer.

Most organizations keep a library of proposals, winners and losers, that have been submitted. Look at both. Are there notes from others as to why one proposal wasn't a winning one?

It's necessary to complete the first draft before you can begin working on the second draft. This may sound like an obvious statement, but it's easy to forget.

The deadline is most important. If your proposal is even five minutes late, it can't legally be considered. I remember one proposal that as assembled in the back of a van on the way to the airport. Because we'd missed the deadline for counter-to-counter shipping, we had to buy a ticket on the red-eye flight so it could go as luggage. (Imagine someone in shorts and a t-shirt flying to Washington, D.C. in January.) We made the deadline; I don't remember whether we won the contract.

If you discover an error in a submitted proposal, you *usually* will be allowed to correct it.

If your marketing organization has information about who may be your competitors, compare your product's features and your competitors to the RFP requirements in a table. It's especially effective to shade the all but the best, which highlights what (hopefully) is your company's product.

Work to avoid "be" verbs; they make for a boring proposal. Also, write in the present tense rather than the future tense. You're telling the client what you are capable of doing.

Recognize that stress and lack of sleep can cause people to become short-tempered. Accept it when someone yells at you for something that wasn't under your control; they will probably apologize later.

These are what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Good luck!

sue ellen

At 2:38 PM -0400 6/7/02, Dick Schellens wrote:

Hi all,
I've just been promoted (?) to be the RFP writer. Any advice? Any good books to read? Any good sites to check out? I want to do this well. It seems like it's a blend between pure technical writing and marketing.

Thanks,

Dick Schellens
GDT
Lebanon, NH