RE: Help! Suddenly I'm a new RFP/proposal writer

Subject: RE: Help! Suddenly I'm a new RFP/proposal writer
From: Nora von Gerichten <wlg -at- pacificcoast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:34:26 -0700

In my experience, the bigger the company, the more hoops you have to jump
through, and the higher they hold those hoops.

Absolutely not true with R&D proposals.

But even more anal (although sometimes a bit more reasonable with
deadlines) are RFPs from government agencies. Those make you dot your i's
and cross your t's in a big way. But you usually get a little more time to
complete your response, because NOTHING moves fast when it comes to
government.

I encounter 3 day open RFPs frequently.

Most RFPs are written (assembled, really) by committees, and it shows.

Often, not most.

There are often redundancies, and frequent contradictions. Some consulting
firms write better RFPs, but those are almost always assembled from
boilerplate questions, some of which don't really fit the scenario for
which they're seeking proposals.

To eliminate the redundancies and contradictions, having someone from the outside as the team leader will reduce, nay attempt to eliminate these issues. Redundancies and contradictions will most likely make a proposal end in the round file.

But yeah, the big guys are stricter. They make it tough on the people
bidding on their RFPs, sometimes simply doing so because they CAN.

Are they stricter or are they more selective?

Nora

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l