Re: Advantages of HTML-formatted e-mail newsletters?

Subject: Re: Advantages of HTML-formatted e-mail newsletters?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:09:49 -0300

Hart, Geoff wrote:

The only real advantage in my eyes is that
plain-text newsletters are often harder to read, and look really amateurish
in this day and age--to the point that I really, really have to be
interested in the subject to force myself to read such newsletters nowadays.

Also, I think that even the hyper-literate among us (which probably includes a large number on this list) are used to the visual stimulation of graphics nowadays.

That includes me. For example, O'Reilly and Associates publishes a regular newsletter full of information that interests me. Yet, because it's in plaintext - a sensible move, considering that its audience probably includes a high percentage who use text-only browsers - I find that I often don't give it the attention it deserves.

Probably, too, reading on line, which favors short paragraphs, has an effect, too. Even in my academic days, I favored shorter paragraphs than the academic norm, but, now, looking back at my published papers, I find that the paragraphs are unreasonably long. Since very few text-only newsletters are composed using the best practices for presenting on-line, they're less attractive to read than they could be.

"Don't loaf and invite inspiration; light out after it with a club, and if you don't get it you will nonetheless get something that looks remarkably like it."
- Jack London, "Getting into Print"

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l