Re: annotated portfolio for new writers

Subject: Re: annotated portfolio for new writers
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:19:39 -0700 (PDT)

Every ounce of work I have ever performed in return
for payment has been proprietary. The only reason I
have ANYTHING to show at interviews is that one of the
companies I used to work for went out of business and
the product line is dead, so I can now freely show
those manuals and online documentation.

I have mixed feelings about portfolios in general. On
one hand, they are really nice to have. On the other
hand, if you have very little to show, they're not
terribly useful. I have many years' experience and yet
have very little to show for it. So what do I do?
Well, I have my resume, and I bring crisp copies with
me. I have my token sample set which I also bring.
When asked about samples, I make a point of mentioning
how everything I have worked on has been proprietary
and how I have come to be able to show one sample. I
also mention any and all pertinent details about what
I did at other places of work while they're looking at
my sample.

It may not be ideal, but it works for me. Maybe I'm
just lucky, or maybe I'm just that good a bullshoy
artist... Or it could be that it's enough to convince
the interviewers that I know my shtuff and can meet
their needs.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l