Re: Modify Word's Default Styles - do your changes stick?

Subject: Re: Modify Word's Default Styles - do your changes stick?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:23:33 -0600

Karen asks:

> If I modify Word's default styles - specifically Normal, Headings 1-3, and
> List Bullet - will my changes remain with the document as it goes from
> customer to customer? Or, when customers open the document on their own
> computesr, with any possible version of Word, will the style definitions
> revert back to the default definitions (from the Normal.dot version on their
> computers)? For example, if the default Heading 1 style is Arial Bold 16
> point font, and I change the definition to Arial 12 point with a shaded
> background, when customers open the document, will they see the default 16
> point style or my changed style?

To be safe, I suggest you create new templates to save this set of styles.
To do so is as simple as using Save As to save your document as a .dot
file.

Then close it, reopen the DOCUMENT (not the template) and use Tools,
Templates and Add-ins... to apply that template to this document (which
should not change its looks at all).

As you continue to make stylistic changes to your document, Word will ask
you when you save if you want to save changes to the template on which
your document is based.

Be aware that Word includes all template information within the document
itself, which allows you to send it to others who do not have a copy of
your template. They will see your doc they way you created it, other than
some slight variations different printer drivers might impose on the
document's appearance.

I avoid using the Normal style, to prevent people from inadvertently
messing up the documents I ship. If you have one or more styles based on
Normal, and you've forgotten to UNcheck "automatically update styles,"
people who modify your document can wreak tons o' havoc on your poor
unsuspecting styles.

Hope this is helpful.

-Keith Cronin

37% of Americans agree that while they would hate being British, they
wouldn't mind having a British accent.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l