Re: The Dark Ages etc - reply

Subject: Re: The Dark Ages etc - reply
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:04:01 -0400

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 15:59, Mark Emson wrote:
> Thanks again for the comments.
>
> Registry foul ups were one of the topics of discusion and
> I agree, I doubt that the install, de-install plan will
> run for long. The considered opinion (guessing game) was
> that if the sofware is fully removed the registry will be
> fairly clean. If the softwre is then re-installed it will
> overwrite any remenants that it may have left. If worst
> come to the worst, all of our machines are of a standard
> base spec that is ghosted onto one of our servers and
> hence the whole system can be re-installed in very little
> time. All of our working files are remote on the servers
> and so, nothing will be lost by doing this.

Well, jeez... If they're prepared to go that far, and if the
normal state of affairs is to have everything that
standardized and centralized, and if your systems are
really that homogeneous, then this is really the time to
seriously consider going to Linux for everything.

Now, before they've wasted time and money on the other
thing!

/kevin

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l