RE: Out of Work Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Out of Work Tech Writers
From: "Foster, Willow" <WFoster -at- friedmancorp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:18:13 -0500

~> -----Original Message-----
~> From: Dick Margulis [mailto:margulis -at- fiam -dot- net]
~> In short, as I've said here before, you are not a technical
~> writer. You are a person who wants to do technical writing
~> for a living. Concentrate more on the person part and less
~> on the tech writing part. Do something else for a while.
~> You might like it. In any case, it's going to be more
~> satisfying than beating your head against closed doors.

I think Dick makes a valid point. IMO, technical writing is a nice job, but
really, it's only a job. Better than some, worse than others. But, if it is
what you want to do, if it fulfils you and makes you happy, then make Bruce
happy and volunteer some time to the open source movement. :) Right now,
it's tough, but it won't stay this way forever. Do something to get you
through the crunch (if you need to) and come back to tech writing when you
can.

I know how you feel... wanting to work where your passion is. I like working
with animals. I train dogs at my local animal shelter in my free time. (Free
time... that's funny.) It's great fun for me and I find it very rewarding.
However, working at a shelter pays almost as much as working at a fast food
joint without the perk of free food. Although that would be just about the
best job I could ever hope for, I simply cannot afford to work there. It's
frustrating. Be happy that what you find fulfilling also pays well... some
of us are not so lucky. :)

Good luck,
Willow

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l