RE: real tech writers? RE: Out-of-Work Tech Writers and Switching Car eers

Subject: RE: real tech writers? RE: Out-of-Work Tech Writers and Switching Car eers
From: "tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 11:15:27 -0400 (EDT)

I believe I know what you mean by a "Real" Tech Writer as opposed to a "temporary" or "sometime" Tech Writer. I have a degree in Professional Writing and I chose Tech Writing as a career. At work, I have a co-worker that was invited to apply for the Tech Writing job even though he had never done Tech Writing before. He got the job and is doing the same as me although I have been in the profession for 8 years. This shows that some companies (including the one I am in) don't really understand or care that much about the Technical Writing "career." They just want a body to do the boring stuff.

But maybe the term "real Tech Writer" could probably be misinterpreted. Just because someone has chosen Tech Writing because it paid more or because it was offered, doesn't make them any less "real" than a Tech Writing Professional. Of course, I would prefer to work with someone who chose Tech Writing as their career than someone who does it as a hobby.

Can a Web portal forever change your life?
Win up to $25 Million on iWon - click here!

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l