RE: The Indian Menace?!?

Subject: RE: The Indian Menace?!?
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:19:31 -0400

> I have a scenario for you all to consider: say I have just
> moved to an area (perhaps in the US) where the cost of living
> is extremely low. I have no mortgage or rent to pay because
> a house has been bequeathed to me. I have no transportation
> costs to pay because work is within walking distance. I have
> no children, and my only forseeable costs are food,
> entertainment, and utiltiies. My current job creating
> software manuals pays much less than I have been paid for
> similar work in the past, but I do not have the need for the
> extra money. Am I then hurting the tech writer economy by
> working at this job? Am I an instance of slave labor?

Well, you've already stated that the cost of living in your area is
extremely low, which makes me suspect that salaries in your area are
probably lower than they would be in a part of the country that had a high
cost of living.

So...

If you like the area where you're living,
you enjoy the tech writing work you're doing,
you have the career and social opportunities you're lookng for, AND
your salary is enough to cover your current expenses (you said "food,
entertainment, and utilities") while allowing you to set aside some savings
for a day when you do want/need to buy a car or rent/purchase a home,

then keep the job, enjoy the job, work hard at the job, and give your
employer a good impression of technical writers. :-) You're not slave
labor, and I doubt you're hurting the worldwide tech writer economy.

There's a possibility that a good many people on this list are working for
less than they could be making someplace else, but they're happy where they
are.

My two cents' worth...

Megan Rock
Technical Writer
FANUC Robotics North America, INC.

Views presented and opinions held are not necessarily those of my friends,
family, or employer.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l