RE: [Techshoret] Campaigning for a job

Subject: RE: [Techshoret] Campaigning for a job
From: "Paula R Stern" <paula -at- writepoint -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:07:39 +0200

Hey Shmuel

1. WritePoint....WritePoint....NOT Write-Point...okay, couldn't resist!

2. YES! Let's see pictures.

3. To business: while I am ALL for companies hiring freelance agencies (and
of course, WritePoint excels among its very capable peers)...companies that
need full time technical writing work are more likely to hire an in-house
person for a variety of reasons which I don't want to go into because -
hey, why argue with someone who wants to hire our services.

4. Rachel, Shmuel is right - be positive about your abilities. Do the best
you can to provide your company with the best services they can offer.
Especially in Israel, more than most places, there is incredible day care
available, and employers understand very clearly that human beings tend to
want to have families and understand what that involves. I don't think the
issue is your materity leave. By Israeli law, that is a given. Once you
have made known that you are pregnant, the company cannot legally fire you.
Once you finish your maternity leave (which again is a given right here
with 3 months of full salary), why would the company want to get rid of
you?

5. If the company needs 2/3 of a technical writer or less, than all the
campaigning you may do will not help because they will save money by not
hiring a full time technical writer. Assuming the need is there - which you
can prove to them by presenting them with all the materials you are going
to assemble now, your company will be very happy to get back an expert in
their software and save the learning curve needed to train a new person.

HTH,
Paula