The Velveteen Tech Writer

Subject: The Velveteen Tech Writer
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:48:51 -0400

I finally admit to never reading the story, so I decided to Google it and have a quick scan. And what to my wondering eyes did appear? The very model of the dynamics of Techwr-l, not to mention the lives of Whirlers in general:

"For a long time (the Velveteen Rabbit) lived in the toy cupboard or on the nursery floor, and no one thought very much about him. He was naturally shy, and being only made of velveteen, some of the more expensive toys quite snubbed him. The mechanical toys were very superior, and looked down upon every one else; they were full of modern ideas, and pretended they were real. The model boat, who had lived through two seasons and lost most of his paint, caught the tone from them and never missed an opportunity of referring to his rigging in technical terms. The Rabbit could not claim to be a model of anything, for he didn't know that real rabbits existed; he thought they were all stuffed with sawdust like himself, and he understood that sawdust was quite out-of-date and should never be mentioned in modern circles."

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l