RE: Once vs. when, and low pay

Subject: RE: Once vs. when, and low pay
From: Shannon Luce <Shannon -dot- Luce -at- GE-interlogix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:15:18 -0400

Goober wrote:
"Seriously though, if you take offense at someone's
opinion, that's your deal. The person you're
contending with has made a very valid point. You make
a valid point that this is a list in which to ask
questions. You're both right.

I do have to comment on your "drivel" comment though.
Are these threads really meaningless? Is it not
important that we discuss thoughts on the market in
which we work?"

Yes, I do occasionally take offense at opinions, especially when the opinion
implies that someone else has based their value as a technical communicator
on a grammar question. Ben knew what he was suggesting could be offensive,
and it was--to someone who didn't even write the original post. Ben's point
is valid (his last four paragraphs); however, it has nothing to do with the
"once vs. when" thread.

I don't think I'd be human if I didn't occasionally take offense at someone
else's opinion. I'm impressed if you never have:)

I think the state of the market for technical communicators is important.
Unfortunately, most of the posts are opinions that argue with someone else's
opinion--they rarely offer facts or information that helps me do my job
better. We all have opinions, and I doubt many of us have changed them based
on these threads. I do have a job, and I am busy. I joined this list because
I thought it would help me become a better technical communicator. Learning
other people's opinions about whether it's OK to take a low-paying job is
not helping me.

I must admit, though, that I have stopped reading the threads; therefore, I
do not know if the more recent threads have more to offer. Please let me
know if I've missed anything that will help me be a better technical
communicator.

Regards,
Shannon

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l