Re: Basics

Subject: Re: Basics
From: Sandy Harris <pashley -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:29:20 -0400

Damien Braniff wrote:

> Following the recent posts on grammar, degrees etc I got to thinking on
> what we, as TWers, should have as a basic 'toolset'. Some (very!)
> initial thoughts:
>
> * Language proficiency. ...
>
> * We should know the basic tools-of-the-trade ...
>
> * Basic design skill - document design, ...
>
> * 'Information mining' - how do we learn about what we write? ...
>
> * Thick skin! ...
>
> * 'Technical bent' - this I'd describe as an aptitude ...
>
> Comments? Left the list short so others can have a go :-)

Great, but I'd add a couple:

Technical background - enough of the basics of a field that you can pick
up what you need to quickly. e.g. To write about medical devices, you
certainly don't need an MD, but you're sunk without at least high school
biology. Lots of other things might help: university biology, training
as a nurse or lab technician, experience selling medical devices, ...

Empathy for the user - an ability to see the problem at least partly
from the viewpoint of the audience, who may have neither the language
skills nor the technical knowledge you do.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l