Re: real tech writers?

Subject: Re: real tech writers?
From: letoured -at- together -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:49:59 -0400

>Today Janet wrote:
>> As I pointed out in my earlier post, I'm not a degree snob. But
>> some of you are, especially those of you without one <return snipe
>> to Christine>.
>> I never said only "degreed" TW's are qualified.

>Yesterday Janet had written:
>> What frustrates me about other TW/TC I have worked with:
>> 1. Many come from various backgrounds/disciplines and profess to
>> "have a knack" for TC. Please -- if you have a knack, back it
>> up with REAL training. Get a degree in the field or at least a
>> certificate. Someone professing to be a TW/TC that has no real
>> training in the discipline will quickly be identified
>> dis-respected by those who DO have training in the field.

Can I play too?

I was working as professional technical writer before any college or
university anywhere in the world offered a major in the subject -- does that
mean I'm not a real TW?

How do you think technical writing was done and learned -- before degrees were
given in it? Do you think you could go write instructions for say power plants
or the space shuttle, just because you have a degree?

letoured -at- together -dot- net

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l