Re: Quark vs. FrameMaker ... today?

Subject: Re: Quark vs. FrameMaker ... today?
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:34:53 +0200

>Software such as p.Ink lets you automate the entire
>editorial and design process for publishing large daily newspapers,
>something you'd kill yourself trying to do in Frame.

P.INK has gone out of business quite a few years ago - some of the
survivors formed GoLive. (The company, before it was acquired by Adobe.)

But you're right, mature workflow tools are available for QuarkXPress
(and for InDesign, e.g., K4 by SoftCare). Be aware though that most if
not all of these tools are geared towards magazines and newspapers, which
have a different workflow form technical documentation. Before adopting
any of these tools, make sure that your kind of workflow is well served
by them.

>The fact that I've never met a techwhirler (in nearly 20 years of this work)
>who uses Quark for manuals* tells me something: [...]
>
>* I ought to be getting a note any second now from the dozen who do. <g>

Not to disappoint you: I have*, and it was awful. Doable, certainly, but
awful. No comparison at all to FrameMaker.

Regards
Jan Henning

* Before I had had major exposure to FrameMaker, so it was not a question
of familiarity.

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l