Re: Free/open source knowledge base system

Subject: Re: Free/open source knowledge base system
From: Doc <dlettvin -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:17:28 -0400

I agree with Megan that Wiki or Twiki are dandy, but ... they are web
logs and I have found them cumbersome to search.

Looking at your site and at your specification for a light-weight
solution, I'd like to recommend an alternative.

Take a look at some of the open-source or free discussion on-line
discussion or bulletin board solutions. They are easy to set-up and
some of them include much better search capabilities and require less
from the writers.

In addition, you can set varying levels of security. This lets you
create any type of scenario you want. For example you can grant
internal users total editing access to all messages, let external
users view the material but require registration to post and approval
to edit other's posts.

I have had good luck with a freeware bulletin board called Snitz
Forums http://forum.snitz.com They do embed a "Powered by ..." logo at
the bottom of the page, but it's a small price to pay for ease of
setup. The other problem with Snitz is that it is ASP-based.

Here are some other possibilities:
http://www.yabbforum.com/
http://www.ikonboard.com/
http://www.teemz.com/

Take a look at some of those. If you decide you want something more
complex, let me know.

I'll continue to post this stuff publicly unless the other folks
decide they're not getting value from it.

-Doc
David W Lettvin
VersaText
South Hamilton, MA
978-468-1105
"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion." - G.K. Chesterton

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l