RE: Content Management

Subject: RE: Content Management
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:31:06 -0400

Mubeena,

>>1) Are there any tools for content management?

What it sounds like you need is a dedicated tool like Visual SourceSafe or Perforce. The former is an easier tool to administer and use, but the latter is cross-platform.

>>path, filename, date content created, revision date, version, content owner, images used

Everything in this list fits the description of a Perforce or SourceSafe except "images used". Now you are talking about indexing and reporting against the content of the documents themselves, which is by far a more complex operation. Even simple solutions can quickly become hard to handle.

I would avoid Excel or Access for the reason that they are not content management tools, and would require alot more work to set up and lack most of the features you want (at least out of the box).

>>2) how should I approach content management?

I'd say contacting a list of helpful professionals is a good place to start. Lemme see if I can think of one... :)