Re: Second-hand knowledge

Subject: Re: Second-hand knowledge
From: letoured -at- together -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 13:10:23 -0400

In <000001c21f88$5d5d63d0$ef843f42 -at- bkovitz>, on 06/29/02
at 09:16 AM, "Ben Kovitz" <bkovitz -at- nethere -dot- com> said:

>Does anyone have ideas about getting the most out of this
>second-hand kind of knowledge?

Sure. First of all you need to make sure you're not working with the idea that
you actually know something, and that you are reading the information
correctly -- In the writing business, there is no such thing as second-hand
information. There is valid information and incorrect information. -- You need
to learn how to verify sources and their information. In time you will learn
what to trust and what to check carefully. And you learn not to release your
writing until its been checked by someone who does know if its right or wrong.

>When to insist on first-hand and when to
>settle for second-hand? How can you avoid becoming an eight-year-old
>lecturing on world peace--mouthing a bunching of useless, naive, or just
>plain wrong stuff because you ain't been there?

Simple. Don't write what you don't know or have the capability to understand,
and which you have the expert sources to check with.

letoured -at- together -dot- net

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l