Re: tech-writing tools for Linux

Subject: Re: tech-writing tools for Linux
From: Sandy Harris <pashley -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 21:03:45 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> For my own use,I'm assembling a list of useful free software/open source
> writing tools for Linux. I was well-aware of standard tools such as
> OpenOffice, Abiword, and dia, but here's some lesser-known ones that may
> be useful to people other than me:
>
> - quanta: a GUI editor for developing on-line help for the KDE desktop.
>
> - manedit: a GUI editor for writing man pages. It enforces the
> conventional struture.

You can also do this with the 'reference page' tags in DocBook SGML or
XML. See www.docbook.org

> -ktexmaker2: a GUI for latex.It takes most of the pain out of
> latex.Requires the KDE desktop installed (unsurprisingly)

An alternative might be:
http://www.lyx.org/

> - screem: described as a "site creator," screem is a multi-purpose
> editor for web sites. It contains quite an impressive collection of
> tools, including ones for writing scripts of various sorts, as well as
> HTML and XHTML and a menu for CVS version control. What might make it
> especially interesting for me is that it has a wizard for writing css
> style sheets.Requires the GNOME desktop installed.
>
> Some of these tools are probably not new, but I can only plead too many
> packages and too little time for not discovering them before. I'm using
> Debian these days, and I heard last week that Debian unstable (aka
> "sid") currently has over ten thousand packages.I've got about 800 on my
> computer, and I haven't even had time to sort through all of those.
>
> If anybody has any other discoveries, please feel free to add to the list.

Amaya, an editor/browser from w3c.org, the standards body for the web,
used for developing and testing their standards. Does HTML, XHTML,
Math ML, ... Fixes incorrect HTML, ...

HTML tidy, also w3c.org. Cleans up HTML.

htmldoc, free from www.easysw.com but they charge for support.
>From a bunch of HTML files get:

files with previous/TOC/next links, plus linked TOC
one big HTML file with TOC
PDF, including linked TOC
Postscript

For a doc set built mostly with Amaya and htmldoc, see:
http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_snaps/CURRENT-SNAP/doc/index.html

All the above also have Windows versions avaialable.

For quite a bit of information on DocBook (XML or SGML tags for
single sourcing a range of technical docs) and various tools for
working with it, see the Linux Documentation Project:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l