Re: Further education required?

Subject: Re: Further education required?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:25:23 -0600

<mini-rant>
Year after year, colleges crank out graduating classes to whom they have
taught nothing about A) what jobs are out there, and B) how to get them.
</end rant>

If you're planning to remain in that part of Texas, let the job ads be
your guide. They'll tell you what the market is looking for. Their "wish
lists" are usually ambitious/unrealistic, but they'll give you some idea
of which skills are currently most marketable.

You've taken the classes. Now spend some time studying what people
actually DO for a living. Most colleges and libraries have career centers
that offer some information in this regard. I think one of the biggest
shortcomings of the American educational system is that it neglects to
point out to students what careers are out there, what's required for
these careers, and how well they pay. Oops, guess I'm ranting again. <g>

Seriously though, take some time to educate yourself on the career
possibilities that exist. Your current ignorance of those factors will not
serve you well in your job hunt. I mean that with absolutely NO offense
intended - as I said, your plight is not an uncommon one. But don't expect
a degree to get you a job. Your skills and personality will get you a job.

Learn what employers want. Then acquire those skills, and market them to
prospective employers. Welcome to the game.

-Keith Cronin

Tech writing: Keeping English majors off Welfare for over 50 years.

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l