RE: grammar advice: infinitive in US English

Subject: RE: grammar advice: infinitive in US English
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- msn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:51:40 -0400

"To let people subscribe to..."

"To allow people to subscribe to..."

"To enable people to subscribe to..."

I can't explain why any of these are correct, since I write
mostly by ear. I hope someone knows the grammatical
underpinnings and shares them with the list.

I also have a personal aversion to "enable" since it usually
sets the wrong tone (for my company) and it requires an
extra word.

Go to

grammar advice: infinitive in US English: From: Elizabeth OShea