Re: One more thought on "Fast" and "Slow" Writers

Subject: Re: One more thought on "Fast" and "Slow" Writers
From: letoured -at- together -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:29:26 -0400

In <2CE76865CAD2D411A42F00508BDCD11FDD46BA -at- GLNEXCHSV005>, on 07/11/02
at 11:13 AM, "Kight, Cindy K." <Cindy -dot- Kight -at- Gilbarco -dot- com> said:

You and the other software writers don't get it. Its not having more time --
its not taking more time because its available -- it has nothing to do with
personality or style.

Its taking more time because its **necessary** It has nothing to do with
diminishing returns. People writing in areas beyond software have to think
about and address -- they have to see and foresee things -- that software
writers never even have to think about about.

That is what takes more time. That is why you go slow and carefully.

>I've been giving this subject some more thought and have something to add.

>Let's say I have 1000 hours to work on a given project and that is an
>appropriate amount of time for me to do it properly. Given 1200 hours, maybe
>I could improve on the quality. (Although I'd probably add a tutorial or
>something instead.) However, there is the concept of diminishing returns,
>and at some point adding time to the project would provide no further
>increase in quality.

>However, there are writers who, given 1200 hours or more, could not produce
>the same quality work that I can do in 1000 hours. Likewise, I'm sure there
>are writers who could do better work than I can, in less time.

>I think we got off track and ended up debating about what it takes to do
>professional work, where the original post concerned differences in work
>style and personality between writers.

>If presented with an unreasonable deadline, I'd negotiate for more time or
>more resources. I don't believe anywhere here is advocating doing an
>unprofessional job.

letoured -at- together -dot- net

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l