Re: Slow Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Slow Tech Writers
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:24:43 -0600

re: Not everyone is as market driven and working on things as uncomplicated
as software user manuals. (letoured)

And ... not every place anyone would surely describe as doing critical,
important, complicated work tolerates "slow" writers, either.

When I posted earlier on this topic describing our procedures for evaluating
user manuals with a two meetings process, perhaps I might have indicated the
topic was ... nuclear weapons

Yes, "critical," "important," "complicated" and certainly "not market
driven" apply, and speedy work by the tech writer is indeed much
appreciated. Make no mistake, perfection is certainly the goal, and we
certainly consider the work top tier. Perhaps when the hours of all those
reviewing and approving the drafts are added to those of the tech writer, it
could come to something like the same amount of hours as a "slow" tech
writer (it's probably more), but I just wouldn't generalize that "slow"
might be the ticket for the individual tech writer involved in critical

Go to