Re: Documenting open source software in product?

Subject: Re: Documenting open source software in product?
From: Doc <dlettvin -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:57:16 -0400

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:57:10 +0300, <mary -dot- nurminen -at- nokia -dot- com> wrote:

>I'm working on documenting a product which has a lot of open source software in it. How have you
>others handled this? Have you provided links to any possible documentation available in the web
>on that open source software? Or have you produced original material on the software in question?

Hi Mary --

Whether the software is open source or free, you will need to check
the licensing for both the software and the docs.

A very good resource is:
http://www.gnu.org/

But check with the individual software companies to find out what
license they use for distribution. Last time I looked there were at
least 4 or 5. There are several licensing and use standards in use.

If you can comply with their requirements there should be no problem
linking.

OTOH some of the documentation is highly technical and could use a
rewrite. Again, you should check with the licensers.

-Doc
VerText
South Hamilton, MA
+1-978-468-1105