Re: Sub-sets of DocBook

Subject: Re: Sub-sets of DocBook
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 16 Jul 2002 09:14:20 -0400

On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 22:49, Bruce Byfield wrote:
> Failing that, has anybody decided on a sub-set of DocBook elements to
> simplify learning and use? If so, would you be willing to share the
> sub-sets with the list?

There are two ways to describe a "sub-set of DocBook elements" and
depending on your needs, you should find one of them useful.

1. Use the Simplified DocBook DTD (more info can be found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/simple/). This is an
officially-sanctioned subset of DocBook tags. I consider this the Right
Way (TM) to pare down on the list of tags.

2. Choose a set of tags you use frequently and mentally mask off all the
rest in the full DTD. If you don't use some tags, then are they really
there? I consider this method to be A Way That Works For Me (TM). The
tags I "like":

<para>
<section>
<title>
<xref>
<programlisting>
<ulink>
<title>
<article>
<book>
<articleinfo>
<bookinfo>
<chapter>
<itemizedlist>
<listitem>
<orderedlist>
and some others I'm sure I've forgotten to include

The on-line version of the DocBook book can be found at
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/. I find new tags to use by pulling
up the TOC of the book and using my web browser's "Find" feature. All of
the DocBook tags are listed in the TOC, and they're usually named what I
think they should be, so finding new tags is typically very simple.

Bruce: is this what you were looking for? I'm not a Frame user, so I
can't really help you out with your specific question.

Sean Hower suggested the DocBook discussion list (info is at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/docbook/#mailinglists). I've been
subscribed for a while and based on traffic I've seen, someone has
probably converted from Frame to DocBook. In fact, here is a message
from a frequent contributor:
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200206/msg00186.html.
Here's his closing paragraph:
"I think this is another indication that the DocBook
application included with Frame 7 is a good start,
but it is not finished. I'm not interested in debugging
their export.c code, so I wonder if we could recruit Adobe
to finish it? It would certainly be to their market
advantage to do so, given the size of this mailing list.
Does anyone have a contact at Adobe that might listen
to such a pitch? Any Adobe people listening?"

Meg
--

Megan Golding (mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission.
-- Arnold Glasgow

Go to http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l