RESOLVED: the correct wording for "the" United Kingdom

Subject: RESOLVED: the correct wording for "the" United Kingdom
From: "Gilda Spitz" <gspitz -at- longview -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:36:15 -0400

Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my question. David Handy provided the most comprehensive reply, which I am pasting below. Thanks!

Gilda Spitz
Manager, Documentation Services
Longview Solutions Inc.

If you're referring to the United Kingdom in a sentence like this one, you need the preceding definite article...:

from Britannica online. Look in the 'Encyclopedia articles' column and
you'll see the following sentences:

* "Histories of the other three constituent parts of the United Kingdom can
be found in Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales."
* "Trade has long been pivotal to the United Kingdom's economy."
* "The United Kingdom has a fiercely independent, developed, and
international trading economy that was at the forefront of the 19th-century
Industrial Revolution."

So you can at least point to Britannica as an authoritative user of the term
in this way.

Go to