RE: Programmer Reference Guide

Subject: RE: Programmer Reference Guide
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:10:52 -0400

Joel,

The biggest thing that strikes me here is that you didn't mention doc'ing an API (Application Programming Interface). You want to document the methods, classes, objects and fields that programmers will use who are going to design and extend your platform.

An excellent example is the Sun JavaDocs. If yours is a Java-based platform, then you have a built in tool available to you that will generate JavaDocs based on comments in your code. Check out http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/index.html

What you might want to look at are OEM guides, SDK guides and other API docs to get a feel for how people use APIs or how they present the internals of their systems to outside programmers to access and extend.

One thing to stress..... provide lots of CODE SAMPLES CODE SAMPLES CODE SAMPLES CODE SAMPLES.

Another thing to stress... don't underestimate the value of good process flow charts. I have written programmer guides before and those are by far the most useful things in them, especially because it helps new 'rammers find out about callback methods and other activities by the system that they do not interact with.

Oh, and did I mention code samples?

Matthew J. Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
< m a c r o m e d i a >