Word and Linked Graphics (was: Newbie Word Question...)

Subject: Word and Linked Graphics (was: Newbie Word Question...)
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:40:42 -0400

Keith C. said

<<<...if your documents (and associated graphics) don't need to move
around much, linking may work for you. If not, it would serve you well to
learn the ways of inserting graphics that have the least impact on file
size. Good luck!>>>

Kieth's right. In a perfect world, where noone moves directories, plays
with your files, or sends documents to customers without telling you,
linking is the way to go. Fortunately, there's a way to get the best of
both worlds.

(Disclaimer: I use Word XP. I don't recall if the first option below is
in earlier versions of Word...)

1.) When you insert a graphic, you have three options:

Insert (embed the graphic), link, or link and insert.

I use the "link and insert" option. This gives me the best of both
worlds: I can modify the graphic in another application and update as
needed. Also, since the graphic is embedded, I can e-mail/move on the
network as needed.

2.) You also have the option of breaking links. I do this when the
document is complete.

a.) Go to " Edit > Links"
b.) Choose the images you want (you can choose all of them at once)
c.) Check the "Save picture with document" option.
d.) Click the "Break Links" button.

The images will then be embedded.

Chuck

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
781-659-1836
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com
web: http://www.charlesvermette.com