RE: editor to writer ratio

Subject: RE: editor to writer ratio
From: "Cheri Kelln-Smith" <ckelln -at- email -dot- fleming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:33:54 -0500

My jobs have included:

40 writers/20 Destop publishing people - I thought this was ridiculous
4 writers/0 editors - 4 writers was probably too many

Currently, we have 2 technical writers, but the CIO says he doesn't understand why we have technical writers for a company who has no external documentation. So, I am off to a position involving content management/intranet/portal stuff. I am not sure what I think of this yet. It sounds more exciting to me than what I have been doing (Epic stuff).

I know it isn't related, but I am still bitter that I am making 35% less than I was in the "Silicon Hills" of Austin (before I got laid off).

Sometimes kicking myself for not going to law school,

Cheri Kelln-Smith
SQA Technical Writer
Fleming Companies, Inc.
ckelln -at- email -dot- fleming -dot- com