Re: Things not to put after a full stop.

Subject: Re: Things not to put after a full stop.
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:25:02 -0700

Marguerite Krupp wrote:

> and I'm
highly suspicious of anyone who says that it's necessary to break
grammatical rules to communicate effectively.
And Bruce Byfield answered:
Nobody has ever said that it's necessary - certainly not all the time - just that it's possible.That's not quite the same thing.
My two cents: There are rules and then there are
rules. <g> Certainly, nobody's saying that a subject
and verb ought not agree, although I'll admit that
certain words, like "data", are open to interpretation.

But I question "rules" that tell me I can't begin a
sentence with a conjunction or that I can't end a
sentence with a preposition. Although I make every
effort to abide by these rules, I can put up with bending
them occasionally in the interest of clear communication.

And I'm downright intolerant of rules that say I have
to crowd a quoted bit of text with extraneous punctuation
marks just because I live in the States, but if I move to
the UK I can punctuate much more logically.
-Sue Gallagher

Re: Things not to put after a full stop.: From: Bruce Byfield