Word Bug - insert a what?

Subject: Word Bug - insert a what?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:04:30 -0400

Justin Ressler reports: <<On two occasions, on two separate documents,
(possibly the same template basis, but not the exact same template) I have
used the Word Insert File option and an Email Window has been attached to my
document (you know, the
email header info that appears when you choose "Send to Mail Recipient")
Funny thing is, not only does the Insert File command not work, but the
header won't go away either. When I save the Word File as RTF, and convert
back, it works fine. So I do
have a fix, but is there an easier one?>>

Here's an educated guess, but just a guess: If you use Word's "send as
e-mail" (File-->Send To-->Mail Recipient), I'll bet there's an occasional
glitch that tags the sent file as e-mail format rather than Word format.
Ditto if you're using Word as your e-mail editor instead of the built-in
editor in Outlook. Woody Leonard, my favorite Microsoft guru, strongly
recommends not doing the latter, and if anyone's encountered the many perils
of doing so, it's Woody.

This would explain why saving as RTF cures the problem: e-mail probably
isn't one of the cross-platform and cross-program formatting switches
supported by this format. Neither are macros, by the way, and that's why
exchanging files in RTF is a great way to remove troublesome macros from a
document (including most but not all viruses).

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS