Re: Average Hours Worked

Subject: Re: Average Hours Worked
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:45:54 +0200

I would like to agree with Bruce about productivity declining
as extra hours increase, because ideologically I oppose
overwork. But my personal experience is that it depends on
the kind of work. From time to time I've been in a deadline
crunch that keeps me working overnight, and because the work
is overwhelmingly routine-- spellcheck, paginate, create PDF,
link up index, etc.-- I think that if anything, a brain
somewhat dulled by fatigue has an easier time sticking to
the job.

On the other hand, and contrary to the eager-whippersnapper
stereotype, I have sometimes found that the harder I work,
the less respect I get. I don't have a simple explanation.
It may be the idea that "if the job takes you so much effort,
you can't be doing it right" or on the contrary that "if you
turn out so much work, then the job can't be very demanding,"
or it may be "don't be a reminder of how stupidly we schedule,"
or it may simply be that when one's nose is to the grindstone,
one neglects one's merry apple-polishing duties. I'm not saying
it's the same everywhere, but I've experienced it in more
than one place...

Mark L. Levinson
Herzlia, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il