Re: Got resume advice? Long but terribly important (to me anyway)!

Subject: Re: Got resume advice? Long but terribly important (to me anyway)!
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:08:15 -0700

Ed Manley wrote:

is an online presence a good thing when only
looking for work in a tight geographic area?

If you'll excuse some suggestions from someone younger than you:

It can't hurt. However, you may want to be more discriminating about where you post your resume. For example, you may want to take your resume off Monster and keep it on any locally oriented boards.

How does one relate that on a resume? How do I tell a hiring manager that I
am tired of making a hundred grand a year or more, and now just want to be a
worker bee for half that or less? (Trust me on this - there is a direct
correlation between stress and pay.)

I don't think you need to mention it on the resume. Just pick the jobs you apply for carefully.

One trouble with anticipating questions about your change of directions (as I'm sure you've considered) is that far too many people will interpret it as a lack of ambition, or ability, and dismiss you immediately. That reaction would be short sighted, but it's probably common enough. So why borrow trouble by bringing up a potential problem?

If the question does come up, the fact that you're in a wheel chair may be all the explanation that's needed.

Do I dumb down the resume, leave off experiences and skills?

Instead of dumbing down, maybe you should think in terms of refocusing the material, emphasizing the points that will be help you get the job you want and de-emphasizing or omitting those that will attract offers that you're not interested in.

You might also consider adding an Objectives section that puts a positive spin on your present preferences. For example, instead of wording your ambitions the way you have to the list, write that you are looking for a long-term committment with a well-established company.Not every company is a startup or aggressively expanding. There's plenty of well-established companies who would welcome someone with your preferences.

Do I have too much on it? I mean, I know six pages is way too much for a
first contact, but when they ask for detail, how much is too much?

It's very easy to forget that a resume is not a complete or objective version of your job history; it's a selected (but truthful) version that's oriented to your present goals.

This sounds like a good time to rewrite your resume, so that it reflects your present goals. Too often, after the initial composition, people just add new experience to a resume without thinking how each piece of information fits into their plans.

All you really need to do is review each piece of information on your resume and ask yourself if it would help you with your present goals.With that filter, you should find revising your resume reasonably straightforward.

Anyway, I hope these suggestions help.

"Yes, I too have a particular monster
a toad or worm curled in the belly
stirring, eating at times I cannot foretell, he
is the thing I can admitonly once to
anyone, never to those who have not their own."
- Keith Douglas