Re: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?

Subject: Re: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:36:17 -0400

Jeffrey Osier-Mixon wrote:

> Question for telecommuters, particularly contractors who visit customer
> sites on occasion---do you use/prefer a desktop machine or a laptop with
> docking station?

Why do you think you need a docking station? Most laptops today come
with all you need, including a perfectly adequate monitor. Some even
have full sized keyboards. But, if you have a thing for a particular
keyboard, simply plug it in. I have seen some excellent writing turned
out on a 486 laptop using WordPerfect.

> My favorite option, of course, is a solid desktop machine at home
> attached to all of the peripherals I have accumulated, and a desktop (or
> tablet PC, whee) to take to customer sites, but I don't know if I can
> afford both.

Get what you need to earn a few bucks. Worry about the peripherals
later.

> Extra question: for those who buy or build their own equipment, would
> you recommend I go out and spend for a pre-built (Dell or similar and
> bask in the warranty), or save at least 50% by building my own? This
> obviously applies to desktops only.

What kind of work do you do? What do you really need. If you are asking
that question, don't even attempt to build your own. It is too easy to
run into compatibility problems. YOur loose connection problem is a
clue.

BTW you can stick Dell's warranty where the sun doesn't shine.

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity,"
- Einstein-