RE: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?

Subject: RE: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:43:26 -0700

There's a third modality you haven't considered: working on a
client-supplied laptop. Though employed full-time, I recently did a little
consulting on the side for an old employer. (With full consent of my current
employer, of course.)

I worked at home using a laptop loaded with:

* the software product I was documenting
* Frame and the previous Frame (and image files) of the document I was
* Webworks and the previous Webworks projects
* the set of corporate fonts

This ensured that the new docs would have the required look and feel and
that I had an installed and working version of the software product. They
saved a few hours of consulting fees that would have gone to installation
and setup, getting connected, etc.

At home, I hooked up a mouse, keyboard, and my big monitor. No problem -
just like working on a big ol' desktop machine. These newfangled laptops
pack a lot of processing power and memory.

RE: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?: From: Jonathan West