Re: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?

Subject: Re: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:33:43 -0600

Bob wrote:

> ...Victims or their families are forced to
> sue anybody and everybody who has any connection with the accident, no
> matter how remote, to find the money.

FORCED to sue?!??!?

Give me a freakin' break. Me, I'm forced to work for my money.

These tragedies are, well, tragic, but does it necessarily follow that
somebody ELSE has to pay for them?

Sorry, but when I spill coffee on my lap pulling out of McDonald's, it's
MY fault. Whether it was an accident or not. Whether it was stupid or not.
Whether I'm badly hurt or not. My fault, ergo it's my problem.

Nobody's FORCING me to do anything about it.

You want protection, buy insurance.

Tech-writing tie-in? Jeez, I don't know. How about: I can explain how the
software works, but it's not my fault if the user is too dumb to plug in
his computer.

Sheesh.

-Keith Cronin
a grumpy old man who believes in being responsible for my actions and any
problems they may cause