Re: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?

Subject: Re: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:23:19 -0700

Doc wrote:

> I don't want to pay for someone else's stupidity,
> and I don't expect them to pay for mine.

Sounds good, but let's take a closer look.

Say you're the kid at McDonald's who didn't put the lid on the coffee correctly, so it spilled in my lap, permanently scarring me and causing me so much pain that I rear-end the next car in line, causing permanent neck injury to the driver.

Do you think you should pay our medical expenses and other losses that aren't covered by our insurance?

If so, then you disagree with most of the messages in this thread (and I believe you meant to agree with them).

But, if not, then you contradict your own statement about expecting someone else to pay for your mistake--remember, the mistake was incorrect application of the lid.

So which is it?

By the way, I'm not asking this of anyone in particular. I just don't believe the issue is as clearcut as these simplistic and dogmatic posts make it out to be.

--David