Re: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?

Subject: Re: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?
From: "Bob Hooker" <rlhooker -at- telocity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:40:24 -0400

Nick wrote:
> The fallacy here is the assumption that the victims need to be made
> completely whole. Why? Is there some government rule or regulation that
says
> so?

Well, yes, as a matter of fact there is a legal principal that the victim
should be "made whole," that is, compensated for damage done. The problem
comes in when making them whole far exceeds the resources of the responsible
individual. In my hypothetical example, my victims have already received the
proceeds from my million dollar liability policy plus everything I own, but
they still owe millions in medical, rehabilitation, nursing home, etc.,
costs and are facing bankruptcy themselves. What are they supposed to do? If
they declare bankruptcy, the hospital, rehab people, nursing home, etc.,
have to take what the court gives them and write off the rest. Of course, to
cover the write-offs, they have to charge more for their services. If my
victims sue and are successful, the defendent's insurance company pays
theirs bills but insurance rates to up.

As another poster has already pointed out, the entire society ends up paying
one way or the other.

> Of course, if we had a rational health
> care system in this country, maybe victims wouldn't have to worry about
> suing everyone and everybody to pay for their medical expenses.

No disagreement here.