RE: About proprietary writing samples

Subject: RE: About proprietary writing samples
From: "Justin Ressler" <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:48:29 -0600

When interviewing for my current job, I was asked to bring a writing sample,
not necessarily a portfolio, but sometimes similar.

Unfortunately, all the work I had done in the past was classified beyond
what the interviewing facility was cleared. I explained that I could not
bring a sample, but I did explain the types of manuals that I created. I'm
sitting here now, so that must have been a somewhat acceptable answer.

Your situation is a smidge difference, because "I don't believe you would be
breaking the law" (?) but you would be violating company policies, and
perhaps contradicting your own moral values.

I say explain it to them, and they will probably understand. If they don't
understand, I wouldn't want to work for them, and might ask to take some of
their proprietary stuff with me so I can stop by their rival on the way
home...see how they feel about that.

Ok, so maybe not that last part...but I have a hunch they will understand.

Salty Dog Consultant, Inc
- Who is glad to be out of the black and into a building with
windows...though he sometimes misses it.

Re: Fw: Why do we put so many warnings in our manuals?: From: John Posada