RE: About proprietary writing samples

Subject: RE: About proprietary writing samples
From: "Gwen Fremonti" <gwen -dot- fremonti -at- primefactors -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:11:44 -0700

Keith Cronin, sig line writer extraordinaire, wrote:
"Is my experience far different from the rest of you?"
______________________

Not mine. Unless you're interviewing for a position with a company who makes
competing products, I can't see any reason they'd want to anyway.

I've also been mulling over a response Ed Manley's last post, so I'll
address that here. Ed remarked:

"I simply cannot understand so many writers wanting to reuse proprietary
documents. You are WRITERS - WRITE SOMETHING!"

For me, the answer is that something I wrote while on an actual job seems
like a more "real" sample to present than something I whipped up just for
interviewing with. While I understand that the latter is no less an
illustration of my abilities than a sample I created for an employer, it
does *feel* that way to me.

YMMV, of course.

I might add though, that I have been asked, as part of an interview process,
to create new documentation for a made-up product. It was fun (the made-up
product was quite amusing) and side-stepped the samples issue very nicely.
(Thought about chiming in with that during the recent 'have you ever been
asked to take a test' thread, but didn't have time. Seems to fit here
anyway.)

Gwen Fremonti
(rather newbie poster who currently has a little more slack time than usual
for this lone writer...)