Re: Average Hours Worked

Subject: Re: Average Hours Worked
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 06:27:57 -0700 (PDT)

> Some people actually enjoy working a more open-ended
> schedule where they will gleefully put in 80+ hours
> week. I work at least that, but I love my work and I
> have control over my life. So working long hours is
> not anything to be proud of, its just the way things
> are. I don't even really know how much I work each
> week.
>
> Generally, people who like what they do, don't have
> problem doing it - a lot. A real writer who truly
> loves to write is always writing. Its something they
> just do as a matter of being. Its the people who
> must
> force themselves to work that generally don't want
> actually work.
>
> Andrew Plato

So if I love to write I should be happy putting in 80
hours a week in exchange for payment for 40 hours a
week? I don't think so. I love what I do, and I'm told
I'm damn good at it. Compensation is why I'm working,
otherwise I'd be doing it for free. In the end,
stripping out all surrounding factors, whether you are
employee or contractor, you are providing a service.
Should a plumber charge you for 4 hours of work when
he really was there all day because he likes what he
does? How about an appliance reseller giving you a 50%
discount just because he like selling appliances? And
no, it's not apples and oranges with regard to tech
writing. Just as the appliance salesman had to spend
money for inventory and the plumber on parts and
tools, so do we, maybe not alwyas on tools, but we
spend time and money on the true tools of our trade -
knowledge and the means to put it to good use.

- Goober

http://health.yahoo.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com