Re: Average Hours Worked

Subject: Re: Average Hours Worked
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:13:16 -0400

<<And you are compensated for getting the job done, not just showing up and
filling a chair. If a plumber comes over and says "have it done in an hour" and
it takes him four hours - a reputable and reasonable plumber would only charge
one hour (assuming there was not some massive change in the work expected).

Andrew Plato>>

The logic demonstrated here is bogus. If a plumber or professional is hired to a
job and they agreed to a fixed price, "It'll be fixed in and hour". Then yes,
they should suck up extra time they did not evaluate.

If you are hired by an employer who says your work week is 40 hours, they have
absolutely no right to then turn around and demand (whether directly or through
coercion) that you work longer hours for free. If however, you're approached by
the boss and asked how long an assignment will take and you say 1 week, then it
better take a week and you better put in all the hours required to complete the
assignment. In this scenario, the boss should also be accountable for their
mistakes. If they said it could be done in a week, and it can't, they should pay
overtime, bonuses, or comp time to the workers who'll have to cover for their
mistake.

Isn't signing a contract that states 40 hrs/week and then being told later that
the "corporate culture" is to do 60 hrs a week "some massive change in the work
expected"?

Those that enjoy living in the office and working every hour God sends should be
commended by their bosses. Those that want to "work to live" and not "live to
work" should not be put down or admonished. Why "loving your job" becomes such
an important quality is beyond me. I received A+ grades in subjects at school
that I abhorred. Does that mean I did not deserve the grade? If I show up at
work and do all assignments when promised and do all other work at a reasonable
pace, why should I do free overtime? Acknowledge that no one on-list has yet
claimed 'filling a chair' is sufficient to keep their job. Let's not change this
thread into some pathetic tirade about personal bigotry concerning the general
workforce and all the 'lazy work avoiding pseudo writers".

Happy "work is my life" and "my coworkers are my family" cults are used by low
paying exploitative workplaces to mind wash the workers into believing they are
well treated and loved.

Eric L. Dunn

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com