RE: Average Hours Worked

Subject: RE: Average Hours Worked
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:42:34 -0400

I believe that both snips below are (substantially) correct.

Andrew Plato said:
> When you are hired as a salaried person, you're not being
> hired for 40 hours of work. You're being hired to get a
> job done. And if that job takes you longer than 40 hours,
> then you should start considering ways to reprioritize your
> work such that you CAN get it done in 40 hours.

Eric Dun replied:
> A *CONTRACTOR* is hired to get a job done
> if there is a deliverable. If there isn't one deliverable
> contractor and salaried employee are hired to work at a
> reasonable pace, for the standard number of hours per week,
> for a reasonable pay.

According to my readings of material on the U.S. Department
of Labor Web site (www.dol.gov), a salary may be based on
a fixed number of hours a week (such as 35 or 40 or 45) or
it may be based on a clear understanding on the part of
the employer and employee that the hours per week will
fluctuate.
(Note: my interpretations are based on passages
related to how to calculate overtime, since that is where
searches on "salary" and "salaried" took me.)

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com