Re: Glad to have Andrew back / Wonder what he thinks of ISO-9000 cert ification

Subject: Re: Glad to have Andrew back / Wonder what he thinks of ISO-9000 cert ification
From: "John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 23:51:18 +0000

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:16:00 +1000, while chained to a desk in the scriptorium, Sean.O'Donoghue-Hayes -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au ("Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes (EAA)") wrote:

$Though I ride into the valley of death I fear not.......yeah I am going to
$say something to defend ISO-9000.
$
$No it will not solve all your problems.
$
$It is a framework.

I was thinking that maybe part of the percieved problem with ISO 9000 is that it is sometimes pushed as an indicator of quality, which it is not.

Up here, for a while, a lot of organizations were proudly announcing they were ISO 9000 certified in their advertising, including car dealerships.

I believe the intent of the advertising was to have people thinking "ABC Motors is ISO 9000 certified, therefore ABC Motors must sell better quality used cars."

Unfortunately, all the ISO 9000 certification may really mean is that ABC Motors performed their 42 point roadworthiness inspection and made the necessary repairs to ensure the car was at least drivable before putting it out on the lot.

So, once again, I say one of the biggest bennefits of ISO 9000 is that a company can assure their customers and clients that the product will meet a certain standard that, hopefully, meets their needs.

--
John Fleming
Technical Writer and SAS Programmer

Please respond to the group. My address is set to reject e-mail from senders not in my address book.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com