RE: Like long hours?

Subject: RE: Like long hours?
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:53:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Swallow <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com> wrote:

> Hours are not irrelevant. Anyone who has ever had to plan a project (and
> stick to it) will tell you that. Once you ignore standard working hours
> (as defined by the company, but most have it defined as 40 hours to a
> week) you are SOL at planning a project successfully.

Planning projects isn't really an aspect of this discussion Bill. Nobody ever
said you should plan a project such that hours aren't considered. We're talking
about employment and expectations on the job. To restate my point, the hours you
work in a given week/month/year are not very important. Its the quality of your
work and your ability to fulfill a need in your organization that are most
important. You fill that need by intelligently managing your time such that you
are able to get your work done under reasonable conditions. And when conditions
change, you change and you communicate these changes to co-workers/management.

> Your error is that you equate working excessive overtime with getting
> things done (either you work long hours or it doesn't get done).

Wrong. I equate getting work done with getting work done. Hours are not very
relevant. If a person can do excellent work in 30 hours a week and it meets all
the needs of the company, then they should be able to do pursue other interests
for the remaining 10.

Andrew Plato

http://health.yahoo.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l